What is a Product Mockup? A Product Mockup is a realistic looking photo that markets a printable, whether that’s a lead magnet or an item you sell. It usually is created using Photoshop files which allow you to drop in your images and create a presentation.
This is the process of marketing a lead magnet. Marketing could take hours of posts, which people have dedicated their entire blog to doing, but I’m going to start with the basics: your own website & email list.
Creating Product Mockups For Your Lead Magnet
Hopefully, you’ve done the leg work of getting a great freebie. Your next step would be to plan out how you want to market it through photos. You have a few options with this step.
- Purchase Photoshop Templates (aff. link) and mockup the photos yourself. This requires some skill on your behalf, such as saving out PNG files of your document and then using the PSD file to place those PNG files in. Did I lose you yet? If so, you might want to go on to option 2.
- Hiring a graphic designer. If you don’t have the ability to create your own mockups, you could hire a designer, such as myself, to create them for you. This is the quickest and pain-free option.
So whatever method you choose, hopefully, you’ll have 2-5 good product photos that you can use on your website. (Note: I’m going to assume you have a WordPress website, although this next section can be used for any website.)
Using Your Product Mockup on Your Website & Email List
Here are the main things you want to do once you have product mockups to place.
- Create a landing page that is specifically for your freebie, or lead magnet. If you aren’t sure what a landing page is or how they are used, read this article from CopyBlogger to learn more. You can also read this one to learn how to create copy for a landing page. Be sure to include your mockup photos on this page.
- Create an opt-in form and link it to your landing page. Opt-in forms often go in the header or footer of your website. You can read about opt-in forms here.
- Create a button or graphic and place this in your sidebar widget, linking it to your landing page. This is self-explanatory, but you’ll need to make sure the graphic is sized to fit in the side bar and also that it links to the page. You can upload the graphic into your media files, grab the link (URL) and then use this code, replacing the URL with your own. Be sure to save this when done.
- Create a call-to-action in any post and use your landing page freebie as the incentive for sign-ups. There are so many ways to do this, but I suggest using a plugin called Popup Maker. You can read Ali Rand’s tutorial for this. Note: If using mailchimp, you need to make sure all the spaces in your code are removed in the text editor. WordPress doesn’t like spacing. Using the plugin will allow you to create buttons or links and track where the clicks are coming from on your website.
- Use your email newsletter to tell current customers about your freebie as well. Place your mockups in the email & direct traffic to your landing page. You could also ask them to share it on their social media channels for more traffic.
- Share on your own social media channels. Of course, you should share your stuff on social media too.
Following these steps will help you in growing your email list. There are, of course, other ways of marketing your lead magnet, but start with these and see where it takes you. The bottom line is that using a product mockups or photo mockups are a great way to give a professional look to your freebies, products, and items. You can find some free product mockups over at Evanto Elements if you want to try them out.